Youth Network – 09/02/2020
Focus: Life Skills, YMP
Day One Youth Advocates:
Library Teen Advisory Board or Youth Interns
Leo S (also on PYC)
Luke S (also on PYC)
Agenda and Notes
Notes from last meeting (May 2020) http://pasadena-library.net/teens/2020/youth-network-may-2020/
- 3 minutes to get to know each other
- What’s your partner’s name?
- What school does your partner go to?
- What’s your least favorite part of school? Why?
- When is your partner’s birthday?
- What is your favorite food?
- What’s the best book you’ve ever read? Why did you like it?
- Describe something that annoys you.
- What’s your biggest dream in life?
Zoom Simon Says Checklist:
- Thumbs Up Feature
- Thumbs Down Feature
- Slow down, speed up button
- Stepped Away button
- Raise your hand button
- Yes, No button
- Chat: Everyone / Personal
Introduce the Youth Master Plan
Intro to Youth Master Plan: http://pasadena-library.net/teens/youth-master-plan/
What would you like to address the most?
- Diverse option of foods – PUSD appears to have addressed some of this in the last few months with the food pickups
- Communication about resources between youth and youth leaders/mentors (example of not knowing about mental health resources if it had not been for actually physically visiting library and seeing it; others don’t know it’s there)
- Bus costs
- Better bike lanes
Which one is the one that needs to be addressed immediately?
- Finances (enough funding for certain teachers to teach certain classes for IB, AP, etc.)
- Sports, staying active during quarantine
- Staying motivated at home
Is there something your organization is already doing?
- Example of CAP offering valuable resources virtually for college info
- Video of basic zoom features in various browsers – library is creating; will share
- More about Youth Master Plan http://pasadena-library.net/teens/youth-master-plan/
- Day One bike train, bike repair, bike match: https://www.instagram.com/day1do/
- Bike Match: https://www.godayone.org/bikematch
Youth Network is a networking meeting for youth ages 12-18 and meets on the first Wednesday of the month during the school year (September – May). It is coordinated by staff from Pasadena Public Library and Day One. If you’re interested in attending the next meeting, look for the event details on Pasadena Public Library’s event calendar: http://pasadena.evanced.info/signup