Pasadena Public Library – Teen Advisory Board, 1/14/19
Present: Carolyn, Chris, Emilie, Faith, Liam, Liliana, Lauren, Luke, Sophie, Taleen
Focus of January meeting: spring event, SRC prizes & graphics
Assignment: SRC prize research:
To prep for our next meeting, please do a bit of research on what you would like as a prize for this year’s summer reading program. We will need about five items for prizes. We can only afford to get one high cost item (between $4-6) this year. All others must be below $4 each.
Take a look at 2018’s and 2017’s prize menus. Some things I’d like to avoid are high screenprinting setup fees, high shipping costs, and very slow production times.
What I would like you to do to prep for the meeting is: think about what you’d like to see on the prize menu next year, find some of these items online, and either (1) print out your findings, or (2) send me a link, so I can prepare to show it to everyone else.
Our theme this year is Showtime at the Library.
SRC prize voting; top choices were:
Micro Sticky Book
4-color retractable pens
Plush with library logo shirt
SRC graphics voting – “It’s Showtime At Your Library”
- Banner for pasadena.beanstack.com – file J. Lee 01
- Bookmark – file poster “Shakespeare Legion of Doom”
- Random – file folders for Atteberry, Girouard, Murphy teen 6 & 7
Debrief & upcoming
- Teen zine
- Winter event-possibly next time two weeks before finals?
- Writing meetups – Jan. 31 facilitator, Sophie
- YA Book Club – Feb. 4 facilitator, Liam
- State of the Youth at Muir High – Feb. 6 representatives, Faith, Emilie, Sophie, Taleen, Liam, Luke (maybe)
- Game Days – Feb. 15 & Mar. 15 facilitator, John
- Youth Network led by TAB
- March 6 – Liam, Faith, Sophie, Taleen
- OR April 3 – Liliana, Faith, Sophie, Taleen
Discuss – Spring events (April – May 2019)
- Book clubs, writing meetups, game days, Youth Network
- Team Easter egg hunt (# of eggs vs. points) — Do we still want to do this? No.
MENTAL HEALTH INITIATIVE: We received three grants to support mental health initiatives from California State Library and Southern California Library Cooperative!
January 14 meeting (2nd Monday) – SRC voting
February 11 OR 25 meeting (TBD) – mental health day or planning for youth network meeting
March 18 – workgroups
April 15 – summer, succession
May-July – Who can step up to lead TAB meetings? What will you do in the TAB meetings? What about the summer event? Jane will be on maternity leave starting in early May through mid-July.
August – recruitment & elevator speech
September – murder mystery
December – no meeting; in lieu will be winter event
These notes are for record purposes only. For more information about attending events, please see our website: http://ww5.cityofpasadena.net/library/teens-services/#menu3
To join the Teen Advisory Board, the application and description can be found on our website: http://ww5.cityofpasadena.net/library/teens-services/#menu4