Pasadena Public Library – Teen Advisory Board, 12/09/2019
Present: Emilie, Liam, Leon, Cassie, Julia, John, Haile, Taleen
Focus of December meeting: strategic plan / TAB timeline & recruitment marketing
Supplies: LEGO Robotics set; arts and craft ideas & previous events; laptops
Welcome (5 min)
Debrief & upcoming (20 min)
- Youth Network (next meeting – Jan 8?) – Leon, Julia,
- Teen Crafts – In 2020 will be moving to quarterly to rotate with a kids (ages 9-14) event and teen movie discussion.
- Dec 16 – all ages DIY snow globes (We have 50 people signed up with 20 on the waitlist. Online registrations are no longer being accepted.) – Genevieve, Liam?
- Jan 18 – LEGO Robotics – Sophie & Emilie; when’s the earliest they can be sent here for us to go through them? Hastings has a program on Jan. 11 (one week before our event).
- Feb – movie? – Genevieve, Liam? to facilitate discussion –MOVED TO APRIL ~ delay due to priority in TAB recruitment and video
- Closed on Feb. 12 (Wed) & 17 (Mon). Educator Night is on Mon. Feb. 24. Other possible dates are Mon. Feb 3 or 10, on a Tues. night, or Wed. Feb. 19 or 26. In the small conference room?
- Mar – teen craft? – We have Mon. Mar 16 reserved in the Studio for crafts; do we want to go with this date and time?
- Apr – movie?
- May – Mental Health Day
- Jun – teen craft?
- Jul – kids event (Harry Potter) & levelUP Youth Conference
- Aug – movie?
- Sep-Nov – no extra programs
- Allendale Library looking to start a teen-volunteer facilitated crafts program (Genevieve will stop by to observe.)
Discussion (20 min)
- Video: What should we include? How long should it be?
- 5-8 min (stick closer to 5 minutes). Programs. Partnerships. YMP & how we’re connected. Making a difference. Skills you learn as you’re planning. Connected to your interests.
- Website: let’s update! How can we make it easier to understand? Should we make an infographic?
Workgroups (45 min)
- Video – Liam
- Will work with Jane on putting together a full outline; then we will invite members to be interviewed. Jane will work with library staff on helping to record and put the video together.
- Website – Haile, Cassie
- LEGO Robotics – Emilie will check with Sophie
- Feb movie – Leon, John
- Decided on Every Day
- Mar craft – Julia, Taleen, Emilie
- Bounced around ideas and came up with a “build a bear” concept.
- TAB website: http://pasadena-library.net/teens/teen-advisory-board/
- Movie Licensing USA: https://www.swank.com/public-libraries/movies-tv/
- Possible suggestions: The Public; The Miseducation of Cameron Post; Every Day
Notes from last meeting
- When you think of your experience with TAB, what stands out to you?
- What will make being on TAB meaningful and how can we retain members?
- Why will people join?
- Think of your relationship with the library (any library) in 5 years. What do you expect from your library? What do you think your library can offer?
- What will teens value in TAB (both as a member or a participant of a TAB program)?
- What will the next generation of teens want from their community hub?
- What will be the reasons teens will use/come/attend library services (remember that services are broad)?
- What Pasadena organization or group do you think TAB should partner with?
- What should be our relationship with other community organizations? Where/what should we have a presence?
- Review your activity questions
- 3 main focus areas: events, advocacy, advisory
- What should we base our strategic plan on?
- How are we different than other teen groups?
Comments: Wants to contribute to life-long learning, relevant to teens, improve teen library experience
People join TAB because it looks good on a resume, but people stay because of the experience. We don’t advertise all the cool stuff that TAB does. Members connect with others; they’re respected like adults; it’s rewarding to see the workgroups thrive and succeed and see participants enjoy something that TAB has implemented. Learn while having an impact.
For future: We should partner with more prevalent orgs such as humane society. Add TAB members testimonials on website. Make a really good video with TAB members saying all the things they like about being a member. Add a slideshow of TAB members’ projects on webpage.
- Next TAB meeting – Saturdays, 4-5:30pm
- January – meeting after LEGO Robotics
- Future TAB agenda items
- Picture of ALL TAB
- Record video
- Update TAB website