Pasadena Public Library, Teen Advisory Board, 1/22/2018
Present: Brittany, Chris, Denisse, Enrique, Faith, John, Jonathan G, Kristina, Maya, Sophie, Thomas
Focus of January meeting: STEAM, succession plan, SRC graphics
Discussion (45 minutes)
- Makey Makey for kids Feb 28 (starts 5pm) – Chris, Jonathan G, Denisse
- Gamemaker for teens Apr 11 (starts 5pm) – Kristina — Who else can help with this? Kristina, please send a draft of your lesson plan.
- Tour of new “Game Room”
- Culminating event Jul 28 – Robotics competition – Sophie and Kristina will contact high school robotics club presidents
- Jane L is graduating – need TAB member to take over the role of Volunteer Relations Chair; must be someone who’s able to give bi-weekly new volunteer orientations
- Maya and Penelope are graduating – will transition Brittany and Faith to take over Instagram
- Kristina is graduating – will need someone to take over Blog Manager role — possibly current Copy Editor (Ioana) or Blog Assistant (Faith); Blog Manager must be able to communicate consistently and be able to post at least once a week.
- Our primary homework helper Sophia is graduating; will need another regular weekly homework helper in the Fall; must be dependable, work a weekly shift of 4-6 on Tue or Thur, and be good and patient with kids
- All of our regular general weekly volunteers are graduating; will need to recruit replacements; weekly volunteers must be dependable, have a wide skill set including attention to detail, intermediate web searching, data entry skills, good dexterity for crafts, and basic graphic design
- Along with the general weekly volunteers, Kristina, and Maya graduating, we’ll need new Teen Zine graphic designers; will recruit again
- Need a backup to help facilitate book club; do we think this should continue during the school year?
- Need more game room monitors (4-6pm on a weekday, probably Friday)
- Need one TAB member age 13-14 to be a member of the Young Readers League selection committee
Action Items (15 minutes)
Vote – Summer Reading graphics
Information items (30 minutes)
- Youth Network – Feb. 7, 4-6pm – This meeting will be devoted to mental health. Please see the attachments and the message below for more info. I hope some of you will attend.
- Meeting with Youth Council re. State of the Youth – Feb. 7 – 6pm – immediately after the Youth Network meeting. Youth Council is opening up their meeting to us to discuss the upcoming State of the Youth event.
- Writers Meetup Jan 25 – Genevieve & Taleen
- E-Textiles – Feb 14 & 21, 5-7pm
- Book clubs – Sofia
- Writing meetups – Sophie (backups: Genevieve & Taleen)
- Movie Night – Genevieve & Penelope
- Game Night – moving to Game Room + Teen Central; by Game Room Monitors
- Homework Help – Jonathan H
Mental Health – Genevieve, Penelope, Thomas
Marketing committee – Maya, Penelope
- Instagram review
- L.A. Parent or other online calendars – transition to weekly general volunteer
- Flyers & posters in Teen Central – transition to Teen Central Assistant
- Blog/Zine articles – tracking & goal – transition to Teen Blog Manager
- Tracking promotional power of TAB – what has been shared by TAB in the past 2 months?
Blog & Zine – Kristina, Faith
Volunteer Relations – Jane L, Lauren, Jonathan G
- TAB onboarding list
- Youth Network liaison – Jonathan G
Y.E.S. Grant – Lauren, Jonathan G, Brittany, Jonathan H
STEAM 2018 – Sophie, Kristina, Chris, John, Jonathan G, Denisse
- Game Room – John
- MaKey MaKey, Wed. Feb 28 at 5pm – Chris
Young Readers League – need someone that’s age 14 or younger in 2018 to help select our book
These notes are for record purposes only. For more information about attending events, please see our website: http://ww5.cityofpasadena.net/library/teens-services/#menu3
To join the Teen Advisory Board, the application and description can be found on our website: http://ww5.cityofpasadena.net/library/teens-services/#menu4