Pasadena Public Library – Teen Advisory Board, October 16, 2021 at Hastings Branch Library
Staff: Jane, Angel
Members: Leo, Jasmine, Jesus, Yenyi, Aminda
- Progress of Bullying Prevention Month activities. Passed out 95 Care Kits and 1000 ribbons so far.
Discuss zine articles – Aminda
- Discuss blog posts or lists that would be interesting to post or write.
- Use the city’s proclamation as a starting point.
- Mention stats about bullying.
- Include techniques to do themselves at library and at schools.
- Maybe ask the schools who have distributed the kits or ribbons.
- Interview students anonymously.
- Stay anonymous or not – share your bullying story.
- Post an online survey?
- OTHER ARTICLES:
- TAB members – other programs that you have led that connects to well-being?
- Anyone else want to write articles?
- General call for past volunteers
- Ask Genevieve about craft program articles?
- Share NCOD article from Pasadena now.
- Yenyi – Gabrielino has a wellness center – maybe interview the people who run it.
- “Friends as therapists”
Discuss – Storytime training schedule – starts Nov.
Teen volunteer Storytime program discussion:
Well-being themes; preschool or family
5 people per team
TAB pilot team – Jasmine, Jesus
We need a few people to read stories aloud to kids.
SESSION 1 – online live training
- Intro to story time – the purpose
- Storytimes for different ages.
- Reading is the only indicator of success.
- Developmentally appropriate activities and stories.
SESSION 2 – in-person training
- Themes and how to look up books
- Using keywords, subject headings, selecting multiple keywords; A to Zoo, websites, and other theme resources
- Review Storytimes books and illustrations for specific ages
SESSION 3 – watch videos pre-assignment + live online training
- Draw & tell
- Cut & tell
- Rules for caregivers, interaction with audience, room setup (distractions, etc.)
SESSION 4 – in-person offsite observe + watch videos
- Watch videos or attend Storytimes
- Assignment – brainstorm on the various activities you’d like to include in the Storytimes. Be prepared for the next session.
SESSION 5 – in-person training
- Trying out finger plays, flannels, songs, crafts, etc.
- Planning with your team
SESSION 6 – in-person training
- Practicing with your team
Discuss – choose 1-3 specific new programs; rate by priority
Music, webtoons, phone games, homework, tiktok, start aimless conversation with person who doesn’t know you (discord userphonebot)
Watch party for lots of people something like squid games on Netflix or
Dodge ball team based activity with friends
Video game like jack box, cahoots/trivia,
prizes like gift cards something impressive and teen based Starbucks boba tea pumps,
Pet adoption event
Jane’s followup task list:
- Reach out to graduates for articles
- Bullying survey or article solicitation
TAB followup tasks:
- Respond about the next meeting
- Need bios for new members for our website http://pasadena-library.net/teens/teen-advisory-board/
- Assignment for TAB – find out what mental health wellness or emotional health or well-being resources exists at your school
Additional training / upcoming:
- Crash course on purchasing
- Revisit escape room idea – tie it with well-being or mental health. Early May for mental health month. Or March or April.
This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.